law firm in Bedworth & Nuneaton

Court of Protection

When do I make a Court of Protection Application?

  • In the event that you or someone you know has lost their mental capacity and you need to deal with their property and finances or health and wellbeing, then you can apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as a deputy.

What is a deputy?

  • A deputy can make decisions on your behalf with regards to your property and finances and your health and wellbeing.
  • The Court has to ensure that the person who is applying to become your deputy is suitable to take that role.
  • The Deputy has responsibilities to the Court and must ensure that they provide accounts every year to the Court, if required to do so.
  • The Deputy must also always act in your best interests.
  • contact us
  • Any relatives that are close to you, must be notified of the application in order that they can object to it, if they feel it appropriate to do so.

When is the Court of Protection application valid?

  • The application must be sent to your doctors to confirm that you cannot make your own decisions.
  • The whole application is then sent to the Court of Protection with the application fee.
  • The Court of Protection then issue the application and we will serve this on all relevant parties.
  • The Court allow a period for any objection to the application to be made and then will issue an Order appointing the deputy.
  • The process can take between 16 to 20 weeks
  • Home and Hospital Visits Available. Contact us on 02476 640 409.

Legal services are available to clients in Bedworth,
Burton on Trent, Nuneaton, Coventry and Birmingham.